Monday, July 27, 2009

A Visit to the Open Library



The Book of Live Dolls, by Josephine Scribner Gates, was my introduction to the delights of the public library. I was about eight years old at the time and, of course, had dolls of my own. My imagination went wild.

The Story of Live Dolls was the first of three parts in The Book of Live Dolls. You can read it right here, thanks to Open Library. (By default, the book opens on the title page, but if you page up once with the arrow at the upper right, you'll find the first illustration. If you page up more than that, you'll find several blank pages and the red cover!)

A hundred years ago, apparently, authors did not write "down" for young readers, vocabulary-wise. Children had to read "up." That didn't hurt my enjoyment of the book, and I'm guessing I learned some new words thanks to Ms. Gates. I'm just sayin'.